Monday, November 2, 2009

Elbert and the Laptop

It's been several weeks since I've blogged about Elbert. That's not to say that there has been any shortage of exciting activity around here.

Today, I sit just inches away from Elbert as he diligently calls different places to secure an Intel Pentimum...yes Pentimum not Pentium computer. I don't think that's even a brand of computer. This morning he came in and sat at his usual station by the phone and only a few strides from the coffee maker, and begin questioning David about getting a laptop.

We repeatedly tried to explain that despite the $200.00 deal Elbert found, getting a laptop would not be very helpful to him. He doesn't have internet connection, he doesn't have a house where they can wire connection and yet he is still adamant about getting the laptop.

"Elbert, you know you can use the computer and internet at the public library for free," I said.

"Well, but they have a time limit on how long you can use the computer and I think I'll save more money if I just get my own," he groans.

I have a hard time suspending judgment on this one. Though I realize that it's not my life or situation. I just can't help but think the winter is coming on and he's sleeping outside. Wouldn't you want to save the little income you have for a warm place to sleep on the incredibly cold nights?

Last month Elbert purchased a car. We were all excited for him. He would cruise around the parking lot, using the heat on the cold days. And then one day he came in, head hanging, "Well, my car broke down." long pause. "It had a busted engine on it."

I'm not sure how much Elbert paid for the car, but when he sold he it only got $80.00 out of it. He immediately started talking about getting another one.

Priorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment